Jul 11, 2007

It's Not the Shoes!

(I want to preface this article. I'm not a great basketball player. Barely above average and far from great.)

On the way home from work today, I saw an open court. I happened to have a ball in the back seat so I stopped and shot around. I don't suppose I looked like much of a basketball player in running shoes, khaki shorts and a polo. It was a beautiful day and I hadn't played in a few months so I thought I would seize the carp or whatever.

I don't think I'm the only one who didn't think that I looked like a basketball player. A younger kid (later found out he was 19) approached me with a big smile and said, “Wanna hoop?”
“Sure,” I replied.

As the game progressed, a few things were evident.
  1. I'm fat and out of shape. I was dying out there playing half court 1 on 1. I need to get on the treadmill!
  2. I was a lot better than he was.

After winning three games, I was literally laying on the court. We were talking and the excuses began to pour like rain.
“I didn't have my shoes.”
“I haven't played in a couple of weeks.”
“I usually play against poor competition.”
“I usually don't play 1 on 1.”

If I had played in the past few months, was wearing basketball shoes or felt that I was actually a decent 1 on 1 player, these excuses could have carried a little bit more weight. (Frankly, even if the excuses were legit, I was too tired to care.)

Driving home, I took some time to think and reflect. Here are some of my thoughts:

  • What excuses hold me back?
  • I'm exhausted.
  • Am I looking for reasons not to succeed or am I proactively searching out success?
  • I'm exhausted.
  • Do I have a plan/goals?
  • Am I making these goals a reality?

I would encourage anyone looking to buy a home or invest in real estate to answer a couple of these thoughts and questions. I'm a big believer in personal check ups. If I don't have a direction/purpose/goal, I find myself getting by rather than getting ahead.

No comments: