Jan 17, 2008

Happy Dance!

On the 15th, Tanna & I sold our first investment property. We bought at the right price, didn't overdue the rehab process and successfully sold the property for a property in a very difficult real estate market. We put $8,000 into the property and made almost $10,000 in profits. Tell me where else anyone can see that kind of return on their money?

It was a peice of cake... Or not.

I will say that I just passed real estate investing 101. However, it was NOT easy. It was one of the most challenging and rewarding tasks that I've ever taken on.

I feel like a giant gorilla just climbed down off of my shoulders...

Some advice for those of you considering real estate investments:
  • It won't sell tomorrow. Plan on hanging onto the property for 5 years. That being said, do enough updating so the property can be rented out. Wait until the market starts to take off before 'flipping' the property & putting it on the market.
  • How long is your snorkel? Know your worst case scenario. If the property goes vacant or unexpected expenses pop up what is going to happen? Will you find yourself calling relatives and friends to stay out of foreclosure? Don't get in over your head!
  • Get past appreciation. You make money buying at the right price and cash flowing. If you are banking on appreciation, you're going to need to hold onto the property for a long, long time.
  • Get the right loan product. The right loan will help you meet your goals and maximize the return on your investment. There is no 'one size fits all' loan. Get the right loan for your needs.

I'm not an investment expert (yet). I believe that I am on my way. Wishing you all phenomenal returns on your real estate investments in 2008.

No comments: