Aug 8, 2007

Par for the Course?

I don't know why, but I'm a big fan of sports analogies. Perhaps it is because sports are relevant to me and so sports analogies are a little bit more relevant.... Who knows. Whatever the reason, here we go.

The game of golf is horrible. I love it, but I spend at least half of the round flat out ticked off. The worst part of the game is the simple fact that I alone am responsible for my plight...

I think the terms "What was that?" and "Are you kidding me?" are a couple of my favorite golf phrases. (I must confess, at times there are some four letter words that sneak into the mix along with occasional mistreatment of my golf clubs, but I try and keep those to myself...)

I think its interesting how scoring well works. It doesn't take any great shots. It takes consistency.

We came across a par three. It was about 220 to the pin. I smoked my tee shot and rolled onto the green. My first thought... "Par!"

Wrong... As it turns out my 25 foot putt had about 4 feet of right to left break in it. I blew my first put way past the hole. I faced a 13 footer for par and left it short about 4 feet. I pushed my bogey put about an inch left. I took a 5!

Seeing opportunities to score well explode before your eyes is tough.

Scoring well takes the complete package. It doesn't take any great shots. It requires consistent play and wise course management.

If my business were a golf game, I can't help but wonder how I would be scoring...

No comments: