Sep 27, 2007

Who Cares?

"You just need to treat every deal like it might close."
"I can't."

Tuesday, two loans died. I had to make two difficult phone calls to good people who need to refinance.

"I'm sorry. I can't help you refinance right now." I proceeded to try and help provide a plan of action that will allow them to refinance as soon as possible, but the ugly truth is that they are stuck in adjustable rate mortgages that are adjusting. They are going to have to scrimp and save to pay their bills each month.

I was sick.

1 - I saw a few thousand dollars in commissions slip away.
2 - I couldn't help my clients.

I'm not going to pretend like my clients welfare is my only concern. Not true. I have bills to pay. I have my own mortgage to worry about. Loans are my income!

I'm also not going to act like my dissapointment and heartache were reserved for my checking account alone. It flat out sucks being in a position where you have to tell someone that their payments are going to continue to go up and there is nothing that I (or anyone else) can do about it. Bottom Line: We're dealing with peoples' homes here! There is a lot on the line!

Yesterday, I asked a client not to lose any sleep at night. We are working out some credit issues for him. I truly hope he slept well.

I didn't. I laid in bed trying to think of different scenarios and how to make this refinance a reality. Afterall, shouldn't you trust your home loan with someone who will lease sleep at night over your financing, so you don't have to?

I take great pride in caring a lot about every deal and more importantly, about caring about my clients' financial well being. Some days, I'm sleepless. Some days, I feel sick. Some days, I get to shake hands with satisfied clients who have either bought a home or saved hundreds on their mortgage. Those days keep me coming back and are the reason I love my job.

No comments: