Jun 12, 2007

What Am I Worth?

I asked my mom and she said that I'm priceless.
I asked my girlfriend and she said it depended on the day.... she was serious.
I'm not going to ask my friends because I don't think I'll like what I hear back.

The question?
"What am I worth?"

As this question pertains to real estate and specifically fix ups, this is an important question to consider and answer. Why?
  • You need to know what your skills are worth. Am I in over my head? Would I be better off (time, money, quality) to hire this particular task out?
  • You need to know what your time is worth. Let's say you do (insert job) by yourself. It takes four full days to complete. Did you save money? It depends. Here is an example:

Carrying costs per day (Payment, Interest) - $50.00

Cost of professional labor - $500.00

$50 x 4 = $200 so you saved $300 right? Not so fast. If you would have hired a professional, you could have spent four days working on other tasks. In other words -

$50 interest x 8 days = $400. Now you only saved $100.00.

I don't think its worth $100 to carry the house for another week. When working with real estate, GET IN, GET OUT, GET PAID.

No comments: